MSB brainstorming

24 January 2014

Dawoud Bey's Blog: Racing Art, Racing Chicago

First Published May 8, 2008
 
Carl_Pope_Bad_Air_(detail).jpg

Dawoud Bey has an excellent blog here. I particularly recopmmend a recent article addressing a great unspoken sin of the Chicago artworld --- racism. As the feminist theorist from the Netherlands, Anna Meulenbelt, expressed it so well, the destructive agents in our cultures at present are like the skin of an onion: racism, sexism and classism. We will not be able to detroy any of these without also attacking the others. Let's start, as best as always, at home in our "little artworld."

Continue reading this post here.

Image: Carl Pope, "The Bad Air Smelled of Roses" (detail)
"I'm from New York, so I can't say I was entirely ready for the level of racial segregation I found here in Chicago upon moving here some ten years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hadn't been here before. I've had family here for twenty-one years,..."

No comments: